Going on Vacation This Summer? Keep Your House Secure While You’re Away
Do you have a vacation planned this summer? Did you know summertime is peak season for home burglaries to take place? In fact, four homes per minute are broken into in the United States.
When you’re getting ready to leave for vacation, you aren’t thinking about securing our home, but you should take some extra steps to make sure you return to the house you left!
Here are some tips to keep your home safe while you and your family are having fun on vacation.
- Keep your vacation plans off social media until you return home. It’s estimated that nearly 80 percent of burglars now use Facebook and Twitter to target their next break-in.
- Have a trusted neighbor or friend keep watch while you’re away to pick up your mail, move your car in the driveway, turn the lights on and off and adjust the blinds. Keep things as normal as if you were there.
- Remove keys from under mats and potted plants.
- Lock your doors and windows both up and downstairs. Add extra locks if needed.
- Activate your security alarm if you have one.
- Stop your mail, newspaper service and all deliveries from coming while you’re gone.
- Leave your blinds and curtains in their usual positions.
- Make sure valuables are out of sight.
- Use home security apps that allow you to control things in your home such as your water, lights and appliances.
Now go have a great vacation!